About Our Company
How it all began…………..
In the late 1990’s Betsy Lipscomb, a cat behaviorist, cat lover and founder of SmartCat understood that people surrendered their cats to shelters because they didn’t know how to change unwanted behaviors. Cat owners were unhappy with cats using furniture and carpets to do what came natural to them –scratching. Most thought declawing was the only answer, it is not! For Betsy, this was a call to action. She started Cats International, a free hotline to help people solve their cat behavior issues. For years Betsy fielded thousands of calls from desperate cat owners looking for solutions.
Early on Betsy began gathering wooden fence posts from her farm in Wisconsin. She wrapped them in sisal rope and mounted them on sturdy wood bases. Her sole purpose of making these posts was to send them to pet parents who needed help with scratching behaviors. People were amazed to learn that the scratching post solved their problems. These posts became vastly popular and soon Betsy was making up to 50 a month by hand..
Betsy decided that she wanted to start a company whose sole mission was to enhance our pets’ quality of life, by providing for their behavioral needs. She especially wanted to detour pet parents from declawing their cats, as it is a cruel procedure. With a lot of persuasion she finally convinced her husband, John, to manufacture a larger version of her homemade scratching post. The result was our flagship product, the Ultimate Scratching Post. Thus SmartCat began.
From there the rest is history. In 2009 our company branched out to become Pioneer Pet Products. We did so to extend our quality designs and construction into a wider range of products. In 2012 we acquired the brand Sticky Paws. Sticky Paws is a tactile tape that detours cats from scratching unwanted surfaces, and keeping them out of harmful house plants. Sticky Paws fits right into the Pioneer Pet brand. It helps cat owners to tame behaviors in the home without taking away their natural instincts.
We are no longer a farmhouse operation, but a mission and dream come true. Our trio of brands is one that pet parents have come to love and trust. The mission however, has never changed – to provide superior products that will improve the quality of life for pets and their owners. All of our products are designed by behavior experts, as well as being widely tested and approved before reaching the market.
SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post
Allow your cat the ultimate experience with the original ultimate scratching post. Available in beige or gray. We pioneered this post with a sturdy 16″ x 16″ easy to assemble base that does not allow tipping. The 32″ height allows cats to stretch fully and tone muscles. The post is made of a durable woven sisal that naturally inspires your cat to scratch.
5 Reasons Cats Scratch
- To remove old nail sheaths from the claws
- To exercise and tone muscles
- To relieve stress, frustration and boredom
- To “warm-up” for a vigorous play session
- To mark territory
- The Original Ultimate Scratching Post – Accept No Imitations!!
- Sturdy 16″ by 16″ base eliminates tipping and wobbling
- 32″ height allows cats to stretch fully and tone muscles
- Fibrous and durable woven sisal naturally inspires scratching
- Superior to carpeted posts that may snag nail
- Assembles with two included screws
- Available post perch (sold separately) allows a place for your cat to rest or play
pet health media
Pioneer Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (asin: B000XJ9PYA):
- Elevated perch gives cats a necessary sense of safety and security
- Reversible, claw-safe quilted pad for the ultimate in lounging
- Easily slides onto the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post to create a comfortable, elevated cat perch
- Durable wood construction . pet health media
Easy to Remove & Clean